Putri Fitria | April 27, 2012
Smart women spend smart. And smart spending is smart living.
The smartest thing a woman can do, however, is to save. Whether it is inherent for you to save or not, smart women do save.
Here are 10 tips on how smart women save:
- Smart women take note of all expenses, big or small. Through it, you will know how much to spend for certain variable. You may not be able to cut the budget for fixed expenditures but you will see how much you can save by checking spending account.
- Go shopping when happy rather than to be happy. Studies show if a person shops when sad, depressed or hungry, she will spend more. With a clear mind, your shopping activities will become more effective. Smart women shop happily.
- Tempted by low-cost bargains? Remember that saving money doesn’t necessarily mean being stingy. Shoes, clothes, bags, furniture, and gadgets are stuff whose quality you need to carefully consider. It’s okay to spend more as long as you get longer usability so that you don’t have to buy the same thing over and over again. Quality, not quantity.
- No need to fear credit cards. You can get interesting bonuses and discounts from smart uses of credit cards. What is important is that make sure you always pay your monthly bill. That way, no additional interests will be put on you.
- Hang out at home. Almost everything you do at home is cheaper than doing it outside. Invite friends and do something together: Film marathon, cooking, playing cards, etc.
- Drink More. Water is not only beneficial to health. By drinking a big glass of water before a meal, you would digest your food better while spending less for a smaller portion of food. It’s a diet for your body and purse at one swoop.
- Buy insurance. Insurance is created to save your money! Their premiums turns out very little compared to what you would otherwise have to pay without insurance coverage.
- Save. Set aside 10-30% of your income every month.
- Master the “30-day method” whenever you feel an urge to buy things you don’t really need. Go home and write down some facts of the thing you crave for (price and selling place). For the next 30 days, think whether you really want it. This method is very useful. While considering what you would do, you can start a little research to find a similar thing at a lower price.
- Dream of early retirement. The biggest motivation to control your finance is a plan to retire early. In Indonesia, not many jobs offer pensions. Therefore, you should not hesitate to open a bank account for retirement fund early on.